The history of the church in this community dates from the year 1829. ln the early pioneer days the Counties of Peel and York were known as the Home District; hence the name of the place of worship in this area from early days received the name of Home Church. A Scotchman from Alloa in Scotland, who built a saw mill on the farm where this present church stands, named the little settlement Alloa, after his home-town. There was also a post-office in a store, a butcher shop, a slaughter house, a blacksmith and carriage shop, 2 hotels and several dwellings.
ln 1829, William Clarridge of the township of Chinguacousy gave land on lot 15 on the third line west, for a school house to be erected thereon, and a burying ground on the adioining land. An annual rent of one barley-corn (1 kernel) was to be paid by the trustees, Williams Fox, George Ferguson and Jacob Shook on the tenth day of July, yearly, if demanded. Erected on this land was to be a free school and meeting house for the use of the neighbours and families in the Home district. The schoolhouse was built and, on April 16th, 1831, a meeting was held in the new building for the purpose of drawing up a plan for the burying ground and dividing it into lots. Many of the pioneers, who worshipped in the schoolhouse, as well as others, were buried in plots in the adjacent cemetery.
There is no definite record of how long the school was used as a place of worship, but, after a period of years, a small log church was erected on the west side of the 3rd line, close to the present home of Mrs. Florence Moddison.
The second church was a brick building, built in 1862, on the corner of lot 16 on the third line west, on the farm of William Drinkwater. The land for the church was not bought, but rented for 999 years at an annual rental of one grain of barley-corn. The brick for this church, which was known as a Methodist Episcopal Church, was made on the farm just a few rods from the building. The white brick, used for the corners, was brought from Little York. The brick was laid by Levi Fuller, a member of the congregation. The first trustees of this church and also of the cemetery were Wm. Clarridge and George Freeman. Other names recorded are: Jas. Coventry, Thomas Young, Joshua Kelly, Wm. Drinkwater, Wm. Cain, Jas. Graydon, Edward Rice, Joseph Mothersill, Jonathan Rice, Henry Clarridge, Levi Fuller, Henry Shook, Wm. Dunn Dolson, Jas. Ovens, Alpheus Clarridge and Mahlon Silverthorn. Descendants of the Fuller, Dolson and Silverthorn families are still active on the church roll.
Home Church was dedicated as a Methodist Episcopal Church, hence the M.E. on the date stone. The church was opened in December, 1862, with the pastor of the charge, Rev. Owen Grafton Colimer, conducting the services.
In 1884, the Methodist Episcopal, Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist Churches united to become the Methodist Church of Canada. According to early records, the Brampton Circuit Methodist Church comprised eight classes, namely: Brampton, Salmonville, Sitzers, Home, Springbrook, Proctors, Pages and Churchville. Brampton became self-sustaining in 1884. Some of the other classes became parts of other circuits leaving Churchville, Home, Salmonville, Springbook and Pages. The Services, or Classes, as they were frequently called, were taken by local preachers or leaders several times each month, as the minister on the circuit could only travel to 3 or 4 appointments each Sunday.
On June 10th, 1925, Home Methodist Church entered Church Union and became Home United Church. On August 22nd,1926, the Rev. H. E. Payne, assisted by a former pastor, Rev. C, A. Simpson, conducted the closing service of the church. Mrs. Wm. Graydon, who had been a former member and organist for many years, presided at the organ.
The corner stone of the present building was laid October 27,1926, on land donated by Mr. T. O. Dolson, by Rev. W. J. Smith, of St. Paul's Church, Brampton, moderator of Peel and Dufferin Presbytery. The following were the names of the building committee: H. H. Clark, Wm. D. Ovens, Charles Carney, Clarence Dolson, Russell Pawley, John Ellis, John Garbutt, Roy Russell, James McCulloch, W. J. Taylor.
On Sunday morning, May 15, 1927, the new church was dedicated by Rev. l. G. Bowles, a former pastor, assisted by Rev. C, A. Simpson and Rev. H. E. Payne, the church minister. The evening service was conducted by Rev. J. Ewing Reid, of Alhambra United Church, Toronto, Rev, H. E. Payne, Rev. Neil McKinnon of Norval United Church and Rev. Ewing McDonald of the Norval Presbyterian Church.
The Pipe Organ in the church was purchased from Arthur United Church and donated by the W. J. Taylor family.
On May 19, 1930, the third anniversary of the church, the mortgage was burnt and the church declared free of debt. Rev. T. Albert Moore, secretary of the United Church, conducted the service.
ln November, 1949, Home Church was transferred from the Huttonville-Churchville circuit to the Norval-Glen Williams pastoral charge.
The local Pastoral Charges were re-alligned again in 1971 when Home Church joined with Huttonville, Norval and Meadowvale to become the Huttonville-Norval Charge. Meadowvale has since closed.
Young men of Home United Church served in the armed forces during the two World Wars. Bill Carney made the supreme sacrifice in giving his life during World War Two. A plaque in his memory is at the front of the church.
Three honourary elders have been chosen by the members over the years in recognition of their work and leadership given to the church. Mr. A. C. Boucher, Mrs. Jennie Taylor, and at present, Mr. John McCulloch.
Water was finally brought to the church in December 1980. An agreement was made with Mrs. Frank Dolson and family to allow the church to use the well at the house owned by the Dolson's next to the church. The men of the church did much of the installation work and all are very thankful to have this convenience at last.
ln recent year's considerable repairs have been made to preserve the old horse shed, a unique feature of our church. The shed was originally at the site of the 1862 church.
ln the past few years several new members have joined our church. With their added strength and the direction of the Holy Spirit we believe we will continue to be a useful instrument of God in our community.1
1 "Home United Church, Alloa, Ontario 1862-1926, 1926-1982." Booklet compiled by Home United Church. Published 1982.